On Saturday, July 6, 2013, Hanna and I attended the Tokyo Judging & Technical Instruction Seminar held at the Takinokawa Gym in the Northern District. Having attended the same event in 2009, we were expecting a long, but productive day of learning and training.
- Shimpan Overview - All Participants (Instructors & Students)
- Shimpan and General seminar - Participants split into dan groups
- Shimpan Key Points - All Participants (Instructors & Students)
- Shimpan and General seminar (cont'd) - Participants split into dan groups
Leading the entire program was Aoki Eiji sensei (Hanshi 8 dan), whose dignified and commanding presence, not to mention his experience and depth of instruction, belied his relatively young age (mid-60s). His speeches during the Shimpan Overview and Key Points segments broached no argument, even among the many older 8 dans in the instructor groups.
Group instructors included:
- 7 Dan: Ito Tomoharu, Maruyama Yoshiaki
- 6 Dan: Yoshimura Kenichi, Shirasu Kimiya
- 5 Dan: Koyama Takanobu, Kaneda Kazuhisa
- 4 Dan: Hatakenaka Atsumi, Ito Shigeo(?)
As usual, the notes (to be shared in my next post) are only possible due to the diligence and effort of my wife, Hanna. I'm sure it is mostly her growing relationship with Hatakenaka sensei that allowed us to be accepted as honorary members of the Shinjuku Iaido groups:
Lunch was fantastic as usual and ready for pickup at the registration tables just as our stomachs started to growl.